Uly's Blog

Hi I'm Uly.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

We had a look at the four metaphors to think how much influence we can take control at the society is going on in class. My group had a Roller coaster to explain, and it was quite interesting to tell the class about it, but it was also a very depreesed one. I thought of a Ship because the future is the result of our present behaivours which is to be from past experiences, so basically we can influence the future, but still, there will be somethng that we cannot expect or manage like a big sudden storm in the middle of ocean, and it is out of our control. There were many people who thought of a Ship in our class. Well, do you agree with my idea? Or do you have some disagreements to my idea even though you thought of a Ship? I am quite interested in those metaphors, so I explained the four metaphors to my sister and my brother, and asked them which one was the closest to their idea for the future and their influences.

When I asked to my sister, she asked me "What future do you mean?" This was quite interesting. She said, when she thinks about the future of the society, she takes a Roller coaster because what is going on in the society is out of her control, and she does not think that she can make any differences against its future. On the other hand, when she thinks about her own future, she takes a Ship because her actions can affect her future situation.

When I asked to my brother, he took a Roller coaster. His explanations were interesting too. He said, there are too many difficult problems around the wolrd, so he does not feel that he can change the situations. And he also said "I cannot create oil".

I am happy to be able to hear those interesting ideas from my sis & bro. Both of them are younger than me, but I think they have quite educated opinions, and they make good senses to me. Did you ask about those metaphors to anybody? I want to try more people, so that I can get more intersting opinions.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger Scott Douglas said…

    What an interesting blog! I'm so glad that you kept thinking about what we talked about in class. I am fascinated by metaphors, so it is interesting for me to read what people said when you asked then about the roller coaster, the dice, the ship and blank sheet of paper.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home